Opinionated Solutions to Life's Problems

Lots of opinions, Lots of options, Lots of hidden answers to Life's convulated questions.

Name:
Location: California, United States

LIKES: India, Music, Math, Dance, Advertising, Statistics, Optimism, Dreams, Strong opinions, Rains, Bike rides, Caribbean Sea, Jamaica, Waterfalls, Swimming, Stray dogs, Full moon, Tagore, F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Junglee sandwich, Phone talks, Jasmine flowers, Short work meetings, Fridays & Saturdays, Chocolate ice-cream at mid-night. HATES: Sweet tongued liars & Bitter tongued liars

Monday, October 02, 2006

Navratri Nostalgia

Girl Talk- the phrase conjures up images of a bunch of girls- chirping and giggling. It also brings back memories of a time back home in India when some of us close friends used to gather for a sleep-over.

Sleepovers were most popular during Navratri days- the nine nights when friends would gather for Dandia and eventually end up at a friends place for the after party. Dandia makes you seriously hungry and there is nothing like a butter dripping, dil ki arteries ko successfully blocking karnewala Pau bhaji at 2 in the morning after the crazy dancing.

At home, over warm mugs of chocolate milk and chips we talked about everything under the sun- (ok yes BOYS were a big topic, but not the ONLY topic!). Sleep was an alien concept for that one night and we gave a good whacking to the first gal who yawned.

Gossip was an integral part of all sleepovers and just like ganeshji ka naam leke you start a shubh kaam, we gals started off our sacred secret sharing session (SSSS!) with a generous dose of gossip. Sample this: Amaresh was indeed at Neerja's place when Sunidhi called her to discuss some Statistics ka problem. Neerja solved Sunidhi's statistical problem on phone but Amaresh was probably studying a different kind of statistics at Neerja's. So thodi si gossip, khub saari masti and the chips cracking by the dozen!

A lot of conclusions were made and behavior analysis gurus would have learnt a thing or two from us. So, If Ankur and Akanksha were deliberately trying to be apart during the raas, it is possible they might be in bed together by now. Or likewise if Shashank was being overly friendly with his girlfriend's best friend, we are going to see a dramebazi se bhara breakup anytime now.

So with so much gossip and good food, can dil ki baat be far behind? Sleepovers bring over a certain vulnerability and as guards are dropped some confessions came out. Like when a friend of mine told me that she hated me the whole first year of our college coz she saw me chatting in a friendly way (flirting?!) with a real college cutie or when another friend said to me that she secretly admired my dress sense all through college before we finally became close buddies in the final year of college!

And then, just like that, the sky turned pink and the dawn broke. The energetic chatter died down but the hot coffee that the most generous soul (read:friend's mom) brought for us at 6 in the morning successfully managed to keep us from dozing off.

Living miles away, I do miss Navratri back home. But more than the dandia, I miss the mindless talk at sleepovers and that heart clogging Pau bhaji that bonded us all for life.

Today at lunch, while I was getting nostalgic looking at my tiffin (I got Pau Bhaji today- look at the irony of the situation!), I got invited over to a friend's place for an informal lunch. Now, this friend N is a colleague of mine but for the last few months we have kind of hit it off on the friendship aspect too. And over some 'not-so-tasty' Bhaji pau and some really nice bhindi we got talking. And though, we didn't have the entire 8 hours that sleepovers usually have; we made the most of the two hours that we spent together by talking incessantly about everything under the sun (And yes, once again BOYS were one of the topics)! Amidst lots of smiles, we said good-bye...Whoever said, Change is the only constant in life ko mera big salaam :)


Music: Roz roz aankhon tale from 'Jeeva'
Mood: Contemplative

15 Comments:

Blogger rads said...

Navratri and dandia are some cherishable days. The only time when I was allowed beyond my 8 pm deadline at home.
Dandia totally rocks. :)

7:35 PM  
Blogger Aashun said...

I grew up in Gujarat ... and I never knew how to do garba, But the fun being with the friends at whole night supersede anything. It’s your friend that makes a simple light occasion a festival. what do u say?

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your last statement, change is indeed constant, it doesnt have to be bad everytime. Sometimes its for good :)

N

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ru:

That was a good post. I have never danced for any occasion other than school function in my life. When yous ay navrathri, I believe in south we used to have doll function and typically its called Golu. I miss all those days how we used to decorate with dolls, invite people and have fun.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he yeah I enjoyed it as well!! bada maza ayaa yaar. Life gets a little tough sometimes and it is such a relief to talk with someone about it. :) Having a good friend in bay area is really good!!

Me

11:06 PM  
Blogger Twisted DNA said...

Aha! I always suspected that's what goes on at the sleepovers. You just confirmed it :D

Quite a gossipy post. Loved it.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Naveen said...

Nice post..thanks for bringing those girlie talks to light :)

Thanks for dropping by my page!

8:08 AM  
Blogger starry said...

Nostalgic post. took me back when I used to enjoy these endless sleepless nights in the hostel.and for sure Boys was the hot topic, take me back to those endless, fun filled days of summer. Thanks for stopping by my blog and please do stop by again.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ajj Kaim Singh said...

Diversity of india.
Navratri seems to be such a fun-filled festival, but we never experienced anything like it up North.
Have you cultivated this habit of listening to songs while posting an entry or you just promoting songs!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Okkaayy!! So that explains what or how exactly the girls exchange information: more importantly, how the conclusions are drawn! Scary, I say!! :D

But you'll get used to living without the Garba I guess: or you need to form a real group of grand friends and kick off your own Navratri parties :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Di said...

fist time visitor :) love ur name..wat does it mean???

yeah I too love the unending girly chats with my dear friends...arent they the best..!!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Aashun said...

To quote.my name is a synonym for 'soft spoken'.
And I thought, its an adverb meaning 'softly said' rather than adjective.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never been to a garba .. must be good fun na?? And even someone like me with two left feet could probably have a gala time...:-)

hmmm and so thats what goes on in these girly chats!!

Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Ps: Have the same question as Di...

-- Strider

9:12 PM  
Blogger Wriju said...

Pav Bhaji at Chowpatty ...
yummy :-)
Now I am really missing Mumbai...

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.. I remember the sleepovers .. such a fun time to discuss everything and nothing in life with friends.. Ah... miss those days :)
btw -Thanks for stopping by at my blog.
Read through your's for the first time.. Will drop by more often.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home