Opinionated Solutions to Life's Problems

Lots of opinions, Lots of options, Lots of hidden answers to Life's convulated questions.

Name:
Location: California, United States

LIKES: India, Music, Math, Dance, Advertising, Statistics, Optimism, Dreams, Strong opinions, Rains, Bike rides, Caribbean Sea, Jamaica, Waterfalls, Swimming, Stray dogs, Full moon, Tagore, F.R.I.E.N.D.S., Junglee sandwich, Phone talks, Jasmine flowers, Short work meetings, Fridays & Saturdays, Chocolate ice-cream at mid-night. HATES: Sweet tongued liars & Bitter tongued liars

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Figures of Speech

How I wish I had an English teacher I could have looked up to in school. Unfortunately, all my English teachers were dry and disinterested in their students and worse- their subject. Add to that the fact that they weren't such masters in their subject too (I found that out much later when I confirmed that sentences cannot be started with 'because' because 'because' is a conjunction- ishhh that was a mouthful!)

My love for the language was largely developed at home with grandpa being one of the best orators that I've ever met and my parents writing flawless English and also encouraging me to read as much as I could.

The best thing I like about English language is the impact that it creates when used correctly. Words have varying degrees to express just the emotion that is needed. I am happy-I am overjoyed- I am delighted!

There are a bunch of things that delight me and Figures of speech (FOS) is one of them.

Oxymorons is a FOS that uses two terms together, that normally contradict each other.

Here's some that I came up with (add to the list if you have more!)

almost exactly
exact estimate
friendly fire
true lies
virtual reality
open secret
found missing
only choice
terribly pleased
pretty ugly
rap music

I love the way 'Hyperbole' lights up a comedy piece. Here's some for you guys

"I nearly died laughing."
"I heard that a million times."
"She had a zit the size of Texas!"
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard."
"You are the ugliest person in the world!"
"This is the worst film ever made."
"I'm so hungry I could eat a horse."

How about this one?

I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home